Monday, March 3, 2014

Of Mountains and Members/Missionaries

To All My Homeboys (and -girls),
This one's title is exceptionally applicable because: Kuching has MOUNTAINS! They're a lot different than the ones back home in Utah, but they're mountains nonetheless! I've missed mountains a lot, and it's certainly nice to have something that accentuates and breaks up the neverending jungle scenery. :)
Well, last Tuesday I bid farewell to kith and kin in Miri and, after a taxi ride to the airport that normally takes 45 minutes but took only 20 that day (in bad traffic, no less :) ), I was bound for Kuching! After touching down and getting my bike box and luggage off of the conveyor belt, I was officially in the City of Cats! 
And what an adventure it's been! :)
We had two baptisms this past Saturday night--one was of an investigator, and the other was of a member's son. The poor 8-year-old kid kept letting his feet pop up, so he ended up being dunked four times. On the final time there were people in the congregation that started clapping. :) We did our best to discourage that. :)
There's an excitement here in Kuching that I haven't really felt as a missionary before. There are three new missionaries in the branch I'm assigned to (I'm one of those three); we have a new branch president; there are several good prospects for investigators for me and my companion--the work of the Lord appears to be hastening here in Kuching! I'm very anxious to help out with the effort :)
I don't have much to say beyond that, other than a reiteration of what I've said before: The work of salvation isn't just something that members do, nor is it something that missionaries should be doing by themselves. It's a team effort. We're all on the Lord's side, and we've got to work together, in unity, in oneness of heart and mind, in the spirit of Zion, if we are truly to help the Lord "cut short his work in its time". We have to be willing to work together in order to get the job done. Members and missionaries--I believe the old adage attributed to Benjamin Franklin can be applied quite nicely here: "We must all hang together, or we shall hang separately."
I love you all! I love this work! I am happiest as I go out and serve others, as I testify about the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon, and as I seek to bring others unto Christ. I have no doubt that the Lord can and will bless YOU--yes, YOU--with that same joy and peace and happiness. The Lord lives; I love Him and am honored to be in His service. His is the glory; mine is the privilege to serve under Him. He loves all of us, despite imperfections and frailties. He strengthens us through His grace, even the enabling power of the Atonement. He awaits for our arrival in the celestial courts above, ready to enfold us in the arms of His love. Trust in Him. Trust in His promises. Pray your hardest, work your hardest, be your bestest, and the Lord will take care of the rest :)
Till we chat again,
Mai Zhanglao/ 麦长老

No comments:

Post a Comment